HC seeks CBI`s reply on Jaya Jaitly`s plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Friday sought CBI`s stand on former Samata Party president Jaya Jaitly`s plea against a trial court order, which charged her for allegedly taking bribe to recommend to the then NDA government a fake defence gadget supply deal to the Army 11 years ago.
Issuing notice to the CBI on Jaitly`s plea, Justice Mukta Gupta sought its reply by August 16.
A special CBI court had on March 5 farmed charges against Jaitly and two others for conspiring with each other and "accepting gratification" for obtaining supply order of a defence equipment, albeit fictitious, for a private firm.
Challenging the framing of charges against Jaitly, her counsel Ram Jethmalani contended before the court that the transcript of video footage does not show any criminality attached to the petitioner as she had merely said that if the product is of good quality, the government should consider the deal in national interest.
The case against Jaitly had been lodged on the basis of a sting `Operation Westend,` conducted by news portal tehelka.Com in 2000, purportedly exposing alleged corruption in defence deals.
George Fernandes, founder of Samata party, was the Defence Minister at that time.
The court had framed charges against the trio for offences of criminal conspiracy under IPC and provisions of Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) dealing with `taking gratification for exercise of personal influence with public servant`.
Special CBI Judge Kawal Jeet Arora had put Jaitly, her erstwhile party colleague Gopal Pacherwal and retired Major General S P Murgai on trial after they pleaded "not guilty" to the charges framed by the court against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!