HC seeks Centre`s response on petition on marriage of minors
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday sought a response from the Centre on a petition seeking a stay on hearing of the cases pertaining to the marriage of minors and validity of their marriage in various courts.
A Full Bench comprising of Justices Vikramjit Sen, Sanjiv Khanna and V K Shali sought the Centre`s response by November 19 on a petition filed by one Mahadev through Counsel Arvind Jain.
The petitioner`s counsel submitted before Bench that when the issue is under the consideration of a larger bench no other court, including the division bench, should hear and pass verdict in the matter.
He cited a recent judgment passed by a division bench which had allowed the marriage of a couple, both minor, as valid and allowed the girl to stay with her husband under the
Hindu Marriage Act.
According to the petitioner, the marriage of minors can be considered as child marriage under the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act but the marriage of minors is allowed in
the special circumstances under the Hindu Marriage Act. The full bench has fixed November 19 for further hearing of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply