HC seeks Police` response to Kanda`s bail plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today asked the city police to file its response to the bail application of former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, an accused in the air hostess Geetika Sharma suicide case.
"You just file the reply to the bail application. Put up for hearing on November 19," Justice Pratibha Rani told Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Siddharth Luthra who attempted to raise certain objections to Kanda`s bail plea.
The hearing on the bail application of Kanda, who is in jail since his arrest on August 18, was deferred twice in the forenoon today on the ground that the arguing counsel Ramesh Gupta was on his way to the court room.
"Enough is enough. Your counsel is still on his way to the court. No more pass over can be granted. I am adjourning the matter to some other date," Justice Rani said.
During the brief hearing, ASG Luthra, appearing for Delhi Police, said, "The accused is seeking bail on the ground that charge sheet had already been filed but he has not annexed the copy of the charge sheet with his petition to be heard by this court. I have got a serious objection to it."
Earlier, another bench of Justice P K Bhasin had recused itself from hearing the bail plea of Kanda without citing any reason and had asked the registry to place it before some other court.
On November 1, Kanda had moved the high court against the September 20 order of the trial court which dismissed his bail plea on the ground that further probe was needed in view of a police report that the victim was pregnant in March this year.
23-year-old Geetika was found dead on August 5 at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4 suicide note, Geetika said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and his aide Aruna Chaddah, co-accused in the case. They, however, denied the charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof