HC seeks response from Delhi govt and MCD on students` plea
New Delhi: The city government and MCD were asked Wednesday by the Delhi High Court to respond to a plea which raised issues ranging from corporal punishment to infrastructure and quality of teaching in the schools run by the government and the civic agency here.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri issued notice to Directorate of Education, Delhi Government and the MCD and sought their replies by November 7 on an application filed by advocate Ashok Agarwal on behalf of the students of the government and the MCD-run schools in Madanpur Khadar.
The counsel submitted to the bench that the students are mercilessly beaten up by teachers, who rarely take classes. He added the infrastructures in these schools too are in a dismal state.
"The students are consistently abused and beaten up with fists and kicks and canes and by flinging shoes and sandals. Some teachers fling shoes towards students for pointing out their mistakes. Others are beaten up with shoes for using the teachers` toilets, while students` toilets happen to be in an unusable state," the application said.
It contended "some teachers play cricket in school instead of teaching students. 140-150 students are made to accommodate in one classroom having not more than 20-30 benches. Classrooms have broken ceilings through which rainwater comes and collects in the classrooms and walls give electric shocks."
The application further said, "Some teachers abuse students for asking for a toilet break. Students are also beaten up if they ask for more food in the mid-day meals. Some others assault them for asking questions while they do not explain anything by themselves."
According to the plea, the students of the two government schools, Rama Krishna Sarvodaya Bal Vidyalaya and Sarvodya Kanya Vidyalaya and two MCD schools, primary boys and girls schools, had sent post cards to the chief justice of the Delhi High Court highlighting the problem faced by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video