HC seeks status report from civic bodies over condition of public toilets
New Delhi: Expressing anguish over the conditions of public toilets in the city, the Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked the trifurcated MCD, NDMC and Delhi Cantonment Board to file the status report within four weeks.
A bench of acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru said "MCDs to file status report in four weeks indicating the steps they have taken for proper maintenance of the public toilets."
"NDMC and DCB to file similar report...All the respondents (civic agencies) would also indicate their plan of action with regard to the toilets for disabled persons by the next date of hearing."
The bench passed the direction while referring to a report of Central Pollution Control Board(CPCB) which said "most of the toilet blocks are in physically dilapidated condition."
According to the report of CPCB team, which inspected 897 toilet blocks, said "218 toilets are in physically dilapidated condition, 109 have unsanitary conditions, 226 are paid toilets....89 toilets are extremely unhygienic."
"Among three MCDs, East Delhi Municipal Corporation has maximum number of toilets in dilapidated condition followed by South Delhi MC...," the report said adding that out of 132 toilets for women most of them are in dilapidated or unhygienic condition.
The court passed the order on a PIL filed by advocate Ashok Aggarwal alleging the failure on the part of civic agencies to construct more number of toilets for women in the city.
Earlier, he had referred to a report of a survey conducted in South and New Delhi areas and said several toilets for women were non-functional and the situation in the city is pathetic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Bihar class 10th result 2016 declared; check Bihar Board Matric class 10 Results 2016 on biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside
- Dance with the devil: What Manchester United under Jose Mourinho might be like
- Like seriously! Sohail Khan to replace Mika Singh on 'Comedy Nights Live'?
- Meet Facebook's North Korean cousin!