HC stays Delhi Assembly Speaker`s view on Binny
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today stayed the implementation of Assembly Speaker`s view on the status of expelled AAP MLA Vinod Kumar Binny inside the House.
On February 12, Speaker M S Dhir had said that Binny, despite his expulsion from the party, will have to follow the party whip in any transaction of business on the floor of the House.
Justice Manmohan considered the apex court 2010 judgement by which expelled Samajwadi Party leaders Amar Singh and Jaya Prada were granted protection against the disqualification and treated them as independent lawmakers.
"In view of the aforesaid judgement, the operation of the letter issued by Assembly Speaker is stayed till next date of hearing, i.E March 4," it said and issued notices to the Speaker of the House and Aam Aadmi Party on Binny`s petition.
Binny in his petition has sought that he be declared as an independent legislator and also objected to the whips he was issued on February 12 and 13 to vote in favour of the party in the House.
Elected from the Laxmi Nagar constituency on AAP ticket, Binny has challenged the view taken by Delhi Assembly Speaker that despite his expulsion, he remained an AAP member and would be bound by a party whip.
The former AAP member termed the view of the Speaker as "grossly illegal, biased and prejudiced" and has accused him of colluding with the party.
Binny`s counsel had yesterday contended before the high court that once AAP voluntarily severed ties with him, how can the party issue him commands
The rebel MLA`s counsel had also contended that Binny was pressurised and compelled to vote in favour of the party and alleged the Speaker colluded with the AAP in this regard.
During the proceedings yesterday, the counsel appearing for the Speaker had said that the petition was premature as the Assembly is in suspended animation and there is no immediate threat that Binny would be disqualified.
The court, however, had observed that once the disqualification petition is moved in the Assembly then the courts cannot interfere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly