HC stays govt`s order for GPS installation for 200 autos
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Tueday
stayed the city government`s notification demanding Rs 15,000
from auto drivers for installation of global positioning
system (GPS) in their vehicles.
Justice Indermeet Kaur, in an interim order, stayed
till May 27 the government`s decision to charge Rs 15,000 from
auto drivers at the time of installation of the system.
The court gave its order on a plea by 200-odd auto
drivers, who moved the court, challenging the part of Delhi
government notification, demanding Rs 15,000 for GPS
The court made it clear that the order would be
applicable only to the auto drivers who approached the court.
It implies the auto drivers, who approached the court
challenging the provision demanding Rs 15,000 for GPS
installation will be protected from any action by the city`s
Transport Department for not installing the gadget aimed at
locating the auto at any given point of time, the court
The Transport Department will be free to collect the
money from other auto drivers for installation of GPS as per
the government`s notification, which came into force on April
6 this year.
Filing a batch of petitions through counsel Praveen
Aggarwal, about 200 auto drivers alleged that the government`s
decision violates their fundamental right to earn their
Aggarwal accused the government of having a vested
interest in Delhi Integrated Multimodel Transit System
(DIMTS), the company selling the GPS costing Rs. 15,000.
"We get the same product elsewhere for Rs.3,000-5,000.
But the government is forcing us to buy the expensive model,”
he said and sought the court to quash the notification clause
which demands the amount from them.
On March 17, the city government had issued a
notification which had authorised the Transport Department to
collect the amount for setting up a Control Centre Room for
installing GPS in the vehicle for better service, security and
?The amount so collected shall be deposited by the
permit holder with the agency designated by the government for
that purpose at the time of fitness. The owners or permit
holders shall deposit an amount of Rs. 15000 per year at the
time of fitness; the amount shall be deposited in two
installments, the notification said.
The court fixed May 27 as the next date of hearing the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm