HC to hear PIL against AAP govt`s waiver on powerbills of defaulters
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday agreed to hear a PIL challenging the subsidy given by Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government to persons who did not pay their power bills from October 2012 to December 2013.
A bench of justices B D Ahmed and Siddharth Mridul, however, refused to list the case for an early hearing saying there is no urgency.
The court said the matter will come up in regular course of listing.
The PIL, filed by advocate Vivek Sharma, has been filed against Delhi government`s announcement of 50 per cent waiver on electricity bills of people who defaulted in payment, saying it will "spread chaos and anarchy by rewarding defaulters instead of penalising them."
The petition has also challenged AAP government`s move to withdraw cases of power theft lodged against those who did not pay their dues.
The PIL, which has also made Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his cabinet colleague Manish Sisodia a party to the case, claims it is on their advice that over 24,000 consumers stopped paying their power bills.
"... These people have not paid their bills from October 2012 to December 2013," the PIL has said.
The petition has also alleged Delhi government`s decision discriminates against those who paid their bills on time.
"The action of the state will benefit only those who participated in the illegal acts and did not pay the dues of electricity bill, which is clearly a violation of law and discriminatory against the rest of the citizens of Delhi," the PIL contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read