HC to hear PIL against invoking of Section 144 during anti-rape stir
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday agreed to hear a PIL challenging imposition of prohibitory orders in and around India Gate here on the ground of maintaining public tranquility during the stir against the gang rape of a girl.
"We are simply re notifying the matter on next Wednesday (January 2)," a bench of justices Siddharth Mridul and Pratibha Rani said.
During brief hearing, Additional Solicitor General Siddharth Luthra, appeared for Delhi police and justified the imposition of prohibitory orders under section 144 of CrPC (dealing with power to issue order in urgent cases of nuisance or apprehended danger) saying it was necessary to maintain public tranquillity.
Justice Mridul, however, said that the matter be heard on January 2.
Anand K Mishra, a Delhi-based lawyer, filed the PIL against the Ministry of Home Affairs, city government and the police seeking a direction to declare as "unconstitutional and illegal" the prohibitory orders issued on December 22.
Seeking framing of "guidelines for imposition of restrictions u/s 144", the PIL said "penalties be imposed on Respondents" for misusing law to curtail citizens` fundamental right to "move freely and assemble peacefully."
"The police has further been acting in derogation of that illegal order imposing total ban and creating curfew like situation around India Gate restricting the magistrate, lawyers, court staff, people and litigants from approaching Patiala House Court complex under the garb that they apprehend problem to public order," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon