HC to MCD: Restore night shelter for homeless people
New Delhi: In a relief to the homeless
people, the Delhi High Court on Thursday directed the MCD to restore
night shelter for them on temporary basis at Pusa road here.
A division bench of Chief Justice A P Shah and Justice
Rajiv Sahai Endlaw directed the Delhi Legal Services Authority
to inspect the night shelter for the homeless people and file
a report by January 13.
"The MCD is directed to put up the tent during the
course of the day," the Bench said, adding that the MCD must
take a "humanistic view" towards people living there.
However, the court said it will not allow continuation
of the encroachment and told the NGOs which had put the
temporarily shelter for about 250 homeless people that the
arrangements shall be made for only 15 days.
Assistant MCD Commissioner of KarolBagh zone, Rakesh
Mehta, assured the court to put back the shelter for the
homeless people, including children, for another 15 days.
The bench directed him to explore possibilities to
accommodate these people in any other night shelter in the
Appearing for MCD, the counsel Maninder Acharya told
the bench that an alternative site has been marked for the
shifting of these people which is one km away from the Pusa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan