HC turns down ex-Railway Tribunal member plea for second term
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has upheld a single-judge bench`s ruling that a person who has served as a member of the Railway Claims Tribunal would be ineligible for a second term.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice BD Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru rejected the plea of Rajan Sharma, former member (Judicial), against the previous order turning down his petition challenging the appointment of ABS Naidu as new member and not giving him a second term.
Rajan Sharma had served a five-year term from March 2005 as member (Judicial) and had applied for a second term.
Interpreting the Railway Claims Tribunal Act, the bench said, "There is no ambiguity in the language of clause (c) of Section 10 of the Act...It is expressly provided that a member on ceasing to hold office would be eligible for appointment as a Chairman or Vice Chairman of the Railways Claim Tribunal or as a Chairman, Vice Chairman or Member of any other Tribunal.
"We are unable to read clause (c) of Section 10 the Act in any other manner except to mean that the eligibility of a member to be re-appointed on ceasing to hold office as a member of the Tribunal is restricted to being appointed only as a Vice Chairman or Chairman of the Tribunal and thus the appellant (Sharma) would be ineligible for being re-appointed as a member of the Tribunal for a second term."
In his petition, Sharma said, "Action of the respondent 1 (Ministry of Railways) ignoring him from appointment as Member (J) is void, illegal and violative of Article 14, 16 and 21 of the Constitution."
According to the petitioner, following an advertisement in May 2011, he had applied for the post and was interviewed by the Selection Board comprising a Supreme Court judge, Chairman of Railway Board and Chairman of Tribunal and Secretary of Law Ministry.
Claiming that the selection list was approved by the Appointment Committee of the Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister, Sharma said he was not considered on the ground that there was no legal provision for re-appointment of a member for the tribunal.
Sharma further said the government ignored his application and appointed Naidu, who was much junior to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah