HC unhappy over condition of women toilets in Delhi
New Delhi: 3,712 public toilets for men and only 269 for women in the national capital.
The figures by trifurcated MCD today left the Delhi High Court unhappy as the civic agency filed its report on 10 out of 12 zones following a PIL alleging that adequate number of toilets for women were not there and the existing ones were not being maintained properly by civic authorities.
The court also summoned Member Secretary of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) after it failed to file a report on the condition of toilets for women in the city.
A division bench of justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Sanjeev Sachdeva sought the personal presence of the officer on August 6.
The bench also asked NDMC and Delhi Cantonment Board to file their status report by next date of hearing.
Earlier, the bench had asked the CPCB, besides the civic agencies to file a separate report over the issue.
The bench expressed its anguish over the report filed by the municpal bodies and said "see the state of affairs".
Filing the report of 10 out of 12 zones, MCD said that Karol Bagh zone has 391 toilets for men and only two for woman. Again in the South zone has 309 toilets for men and only 5 toilets for women.
The court passed the order on a PIL filed by advocate Ashok Aggarwal. Referring to a report of a survey conducted in South and New Delhi areas, the counsel submitted that several such toilets were non-functional and the situation in the city is pathetic.
The bench fixed August 6 for further hearing of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation