HC upholds life term to 4 in honour killing case
New Delhi: Strongly condemning the
practice of "honour killings", the Delhi High Court on Friday
upheld the life sentence awarded to four persons for killing a
youth, who had an affair with the daughter of one of the
convicts, in March 2000.
A bench of justices Ravindra Bhat and G P Mittal
directed the convicts to surrender before the trial court by
September 1 to serve the remaining sentence.
"The practice negates an individual`s freedom to
choose his or her spouse, and leading a life, with dignity,
and enjoying the rights guaranteed by the Constitution," the
It said, "The practice places exaggerated value on
endogamous choice, dictated by kith and kin, on the one hand,
and denies outsiders the freedom of choosing their partners,
based on consent. Such social practices, which sanction what
are plainly crimes, require the severest condemnation."
The court upheld the conviction of city residents
Preetam, Shyamlal, Devender and Himmat for killing one Mahesh
who had an affair with Shyam Lal`s daughter Parvesh.
"The injuries indicate merciless beatings rained on
the deceased. By all accounts, the appellants? motive was
to teach the deceased a lesson, and do him to death, what has
been termed as honour killing, "the court said.
Under the pretext that the girl`s parents had agreed
for the marriage, the accused persons called Mahesh and took
him in a car on March 22, 2000.
After killing him, they dumped his body in a drain
in Najafgarh and the body was recovered on March 26, 2000.
The trial court had in 2001 sentenced all four persons
including the father of the girl to life imprisonment for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery