HC upholds life term to 4 in honour killing case
New Delhi: Strongly condemning the
practice of "honour killings", the Delhi High Court on Friday
upheld the life sentence awarded to four persons for killing a
youth, who had an affair with the daughter of one of the
convicts, in March 2000.
A bench of justices Ravindra Bhat and G P Mittal
directed the convicts to surrender before the trial court by
September 1 to serve the remaining sentence.
"The practice negates an individual`s freedom to
choose his or her spouse, and leading a life, with dignity,
and enjoying the rights guaranteed by the Constitution," the
It said, "The practice places exaggerated value on
endogamous choice, dictated by kith and kin, on the one hand,
and denies outsiders the freedom of choosing their partners,
based on consent. Such social practices, which sanction what
are plainly crimes, require the severest condemnation."
The court upheld the conviction of city residents
Preetam, Shyamlal, Devender and Himmat for killing one Mahesh
who had an affair with Shyam Lal`s daughter Parvesh.
"The injuries indicate merciless beatings rained on
the deceased. By all accounts, the appellants? motive was
to teach the deceased a lesson, and do him to death, what has
been termed as honour killing, "the court said.
Under the pretext that the girl`s parents had agreed
for the marriage, the accused persons called Mahesh and took
him in a car on March 22, 2000.
After killing him, they dumped his body in a drain
in Najafgarh and the body was recovered on March 26, 2000.
The trial court had in 2001 sentenced all four persons
including the father of the girl to life imprisonment for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced