HC upholds sacking of DTC driver
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has upheld
the dismissal of a Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) driver
for his "inhumane and atrocious" conduct of not allowing an
old woman to board the bus and abusing her daughter in public.
Justice Kailash Gambhir upheld the sacking of driver
Inder Sain by DTC disciplinary authority.
"This riotous, inhumane and atrocious conduct of the
petitioner (Sain) certainly does not in any manner sway this
court to reduce his punishment from the removal of service to
some other lesser punishment," said Justice Gambhir, upholding
Sain`s ouster on a complaint by the elderly woman`s daughter.
"As a civilised society, we cannot tolerate such people
who do not have even the basic decency and regard for the
elderly people and when they are advised to discipline
themselves they rebound with more savagery and barbarism," the
Sain had approached the high court against a labour court
order which had in December 2005 refused to interfere with the
disciplinary authority order, directing his removal from the
The incident dated back to 1991 when the old woman and
her daughter were waiting at Ashram bus stop here and tried to
board the bus, driven by Sain, from its front door. Sain,
however, did not allow them to board the bus and asked them to
go to the rear door to board the bus.
As the two walked to the rear door, Sain started the bus
with woman`s daughter somehow managing to board it. The
driver, however, refused to stop the bus for her mother to
board it, despite repeated requests by her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Delhi L-G Najeeb Jung refuses AAP govt’s proposed app-based premium bus service scheme
- Final phase of Q4 results, progress of monsoon to guide market
- Attention tax evaders: From June 1, declare black money and come clean or else....
- Saqib Saleem all praises for Radhika Apte's 'knockout performance' in 'Phobia'!
- Arjun Rampal captures priceless moments from 'Kahaani 2'! – View pics