HC: Woman cadet allowed rejoining training in OTA
New Delhi: A woman cadet, who had resigned from training for commissioned officer in the Army over a year ago due to a back injury, has been allowed by the
Delhi High Court to rejoin the training beginning next month.
Accepting the plea of Shivanjali Sharma, a bench of justices Anil Kumar and S K Mishra directed the Defence Ministry to allow her to join the Officers Training Academy (OTA) in Chennai for the next course.
"The resignation from the training given by Sharma under compulsion on account of her injuries, which was also withdrawn by her before it was accepted by the competent authority, is set aside and the respondents (Defence Ministry and concerned departments) are directed to allow her to join the OTA, Chennai for the next ensuing course commencing from April 2012," the court said yesterday.
Directing the government to comply with the order
forthwith, the bench also said the petitioner (Sharma) be paid
Rs 20,000 as cost within two weeks.
"Considering the facts and circumstances, the
respondents shall also be liable to pay a cost of Rs 20,000 to
the petitioner. Cost is paid within two weeks," the bench
According to Sharma, she was undergoing training at
the OTA for being enlisted as a commissioned officer in the
Judge Advocate`s Department in 2010.
She said she had joined the training on October 8,
2010 but due to the fall in the stairs few days after
commencement of her training, she suffered injuries in the
tailbone, the lowermost vertebra.
With the injury, she had attended the physical
training but could not continue due to persistent pain in her
back, Sharma said.
Sharma alleged that she was neither given proper
treatment nor allowed to go on sick leave and that the
circumstances forced her to resign from the training on
October 30, 2010.
"Instead of taking adequate measures to diagnose my
injury and provide proper treatment, I was compelled to submit
her resignation from the training.
"My compulsion while tendering my resignation from the
training was to get my injury diagnosed and to get the
appropriate treatment in order to avoid further aggravation of
my injury, as even sick leave was refused to me," the
The court considered the woman`s argument that after
getting cured in Delhi and getting a fitness certificate from
a doctor, she had sent a representation for withdrawal of her
As it was not accepted, she requested the government
to allow her to rejoin the training in April last year but she
was told that she was physically and mentally not fit for the
service, the petitioner said.
"This court is of the opinion that by the letter dated
November 16, 2010, the petitioner had withdrawn her
resignation from the training before it could be accepted by
the respondents....," the court said after the government
failed to provide any document establishing that her
resignation was accepted ahead of her representation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India