Hearings adjourned in Dec 16 gang-rape, robbery cases
New Delhi: Hearings in the Dec 16 gang-rape and robbery cases were on Tuesday adjourned after the accused failed to appear at separate courts here due to the non-availability of policemen ahead of Independence Day.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna, who is holding the trial in the gangrape case, fixed the matter for hearing tomorrow after being informed by police that the accused could not be brought to the Saket court complex as there were not enough security personnel to escort them from Tihar jail.
Ahead of Independence Day celebrations, cops and other paramilitary personnel were deployed in and around the national capital, the court was informed.
A similar reason prevented proceedings from going on in the robbery case in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash at the Patiala House complex.
In the gangrape trial, the court was recording the statements of prosecution witnesses who are countering the claims of the accused Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta that they were not in the bus in which the victim was allegedly gang-raped by six persons.
The duo say they were at a DDA park to participate in a music function organised by a church at the time when the crime took place.
However, a DDA official, who will be cross-examined tomorrow, and two members of the church, have contended that neither the civic agency nor the church had organised any function in the park on Dec. 16 night.
According to the prosecution, Ram Singh, Akshay Thakur and Mukesh, along with Vinay and Pawan, had allegedly gangraped the girl on a moving bus.
The victim, who was also assaulted by the alleged rapists, succumbed to her injuries last year on Dec 29 while undergoing treatment at a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured