Hearings adjourned in Dec 16 gang-rape, robbery cases
New Delhi: Hearings in the Dec 16 gang-rape and robbery cases were on Tuesday adjourned after the accused failed to appear at separate courts here due to the non-availability of policemen ahead of Independence Day.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna, who is holding the trial in the gangrape case, fixed the matter for hearing tomorrow after being informed by police that the accused could not be brought to the Saket court complex as there were not enough security personnel to escort them from Tihar jail.
Ahead of Independence Day celebrations, cops and other paramilitary personnel were deployed in and around the national capital, the court was informed.
A similar reason prevented proceedings from going on in the robbery case in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash at the Patiala House complex.
In the gangrape trial, the court was recording the statements of prosecution witnesses who are countering the claims of the accused Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta that they were not in the bus in which the victim was allegedly gang-raped by six persons.
The duo say they were at a DDA park to participate in a music function organised by a church at the time when the crime took place.
However, a DDA official, who will be cross-examined tomorrow, and two members of the church, have contended that neither the civic agency nor the church had organised any function in the park on Dec. 16 night.
According to the prosecution, Ram Singh, Akshay Thakur and Mukesh, along with Vinay and Pawan, had allegedly gangraped the girl on a moving bus.
The victim, who was also assaulted by the alleged rapists, succumbed to her injuries last year on Dec 29 while undergoing treatment at a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report