Heavy rains hit normal life in Delhi, temperature plummets
New Delhi: Heavy morning showers led to a considerable drop in temperature in the national capital on Friday while the downpour also brought perennial problem of water-logging and subsequent traffic snarls with it in various parts of the city.
The maximum temperature was recorded at 30.5 degrees Celsius, which was three degrees below normal, while the minimum dropped two degrees below normal to 24.5 deg C.
The city witnessed 35.2 mm of rains between 8.30 AM and 5.30 PM, Met department said.
As the heavy rains drenched the city, there were reports of water-logging from several areas. But Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit claimed that there were no reports of water-logging.
Office-goers had a harrowing time as traffic crawled on several arterial roads due to water-logging.
Traffic was heavy due to water-logging at Nizamuddin to Khatta, Savitri to Greater Kailash I, Safdarjung, Sec 12 Ring road near PWD office.
Traffic was moving slow in only one lane at Defence colony flyover due to water-logging at both ends of the bridge. The situation was same at Lala Lajpat Rai Marg, IIT, Adhchini, Arvindo Marg, Ashram chowk to Sarai Kale Khan near Maharani Bagh bus stand.
Due to water-logging at Pul Prahladpur, the traffic was diverted to Mathura road. Also there were reports of water-logging at Select City Walk area in Saket, August Kranti Marg, Akshardham Mandir Area, Minto Road area.
Massive jams were witnessed in several parts of the city including major intersections such as ITO, Kashmere Gate, South Extension, Laxmi Nagar, Ashram Chowk, Moolchand underpass, Dhaula Kuan, Azad Marg, Gurudwara Nanakpura, Badarpur, Apsara Border, Yamuna Vihar, Okhla Mandi, Uttamnagar, Kajori Chowk and Nehru Place.
Sonal Lalchandani, a commuter said, "I had started from my home in Karol Bagh at around 8.30 AM and it took close to two-and-half hours to reach Lajpat Nagar. Usually it takes only 45-50 minutes".
According to the Met department, the city recorded 15.6 mm of rain till 8.30 AM today.
The humidity level oscillated between 84 and 97 per cent.
Weatherman has predicted a generally cloudy sky tomorrow, with possibility of rains and thundershowers.
The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to remain around 29 and 25 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy