Heavy rains in Delhi, Yamuna water level rising
New Delhi: Delhiites got drenched while on way to schools and offices with incessant rains lashing the national capital for the fifth consecutive day on Monday, even as the water level in Yamuna river remained above the danger mark.
The showers began at around 7.45 am as office-goers and students started from their homes to reach their respective destinations. The city received a total of 6.5 mm
rains for a period of 24 hours till 8.30 am today, Met Office said.
The city has been hit by incessant rains for the past five days, which brought with it water-logging and huge traffic jams.
As the sky opened up, vehicular movement became slow in areas like ITO, Vikas Marg, Connaught Place and AIIMS. Some people were seen parking their two-wheelers near Metro stations to reach their destinations by the new age transport system.
Yamuna is now flowing at a level of 205.19 metres, which makes it 36 cm above the danger level of 204.83 metres.
The water level is expected to increase as Haryana has released 3.5 lakh cusecs of water yesterday, which is expected to reach the national capital today.
People living close to the river bank have been evacuated and shifted to camps that have been set up in safer areas, according to officials.
Some 20 camps have been set up to provide shelter to the people affected by the rise in water level, and arrangements for medical and food facilities have been made,
an official said.
Met office said the next 24 hours are likely to see a generally cloudy sky with a few spells of rain or thundershowers, one or two of which may be heavy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`