Heavy vehicles off NH-24 on Kartik Poornima
Lucknow: Owing to the holy Kartik Poornima ritual bathing at Garhmukteshwar on the outskirts of Ghaziabad, the busy National Highway-24 will be out of bounds for all heavy vehicles, police said on Monday.
The traffic diversion was put in force Sunday night. All heavy vehicles would be stopped at Hapur.
Orders of the traffic blockade have been issued to Ghaziabad, Muzaffarnagar, Amroha, Saharnpur, Meerut, Sambhal and Bulandshahr police, a senior police official informed a news agency.
Thousands are likely to take the holy dip in the Ganga river Nov 28, on the occasion of Kartik Poornima, said to be one of the holiest dates for bathing in the river.
Thousands congregate at Garhmukteshwar to take the ritual bath every year.
Traffic police say the diversions and the blockade were necessary, to ensure smooth flow of people on the highway and to allow small vehicles to reach Garhmukteshwar.
All heavy vehicles from Moradabad heading to Delhi would be routed from Kanth, Dhampur, Nagina and Bijnor, while vehicles from Moradabad to Meerut would be diverted to Atrasi road in Amroha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Bombay HC allows women to enter inner sanctum of Haji Ali Dargah; activists hail 'momentous' verdict
- Pakistan's Sami Aslam reveals why he always recalls these words from Sachin Tendulkar's retirement speech
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo at Raghuram Rajan, claims he has no degree in economics
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today