Heavy vehicles off NH-24 on Kartik Poornima
Lucknow: Owing to the holy Kartik Poornima ritual bathing at Garhmukteshwar on the outskirts of Ghaziabad, the busy National Highway-24 will be out of bounds for all heavy vehicles, police said on Monday.
The traffic diversion was put in force Sunday night. All heavy vehicles would be stopped at Hapur.
Orders of the traffic blockade have been issued to Ghaziabad, Muzaffarnagar, Amroha, Saharnpur, Meerut, Sambhal and Bulandshahr police, a senior police official informed a news agency.
Thousands are likely to take the holy dip in the Ganga river Nov 28, on the occasion of Kartik Poornima, said to be one of the holiest dates for bathing in the river.
Thousands congregate at Garhmukteshwar to take the ritual bath every year.
Traffic police say the diversions and the blockade were necessary, to ensure smooth flow of people on the highway and to allow small vehicles to reach Garhmukteshwar.
All heavy vehicles from Moradabad heading to Delhi would be routed from Kanth, Dhampur, Nagina and Bijnor, while vehicles from Moradabad to Meerut would be diverted to Atrasi road in Amroha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days