Heavy vehicles off NH-24 on Kartik Poornima
Lucknow: Owing to the holy Kartik Poornima ritual bathing at Garhmukteshwar on the outskirts of Ghaziabad, the busy National Highway-24 will be out of bounds for all heavy vehicles, police said on Monday.
The traffic diversion was put in force Sunday night. All heavy vehicles would be stopped at Hapur.
Orders of the traffic blockade have been issued to Ghaziabad, Muzaffarnagar, Amroha, Saharnpur, Meerut, Sambhal and Bulandshahr police, a senior police official informed a news agency.
Thousands are likely to take the holy dip in the Ganga river Nov 28, on the occasion of Kartik Poornima, said to be one of the holiest dates for bathing in the river.
Thousands congregate at Garhmukteshwar to take the ritual bath every year.
Traffic police say the diversions and the blockade were necessary, to ensure smooth flow of people on the highway and to allow small vehicles to reach Garhmukteshwar.
All heavy vehicles from Moradabad heading to Delhi would be routed from Kanth, Dhampur, Nagina and Bijnor, while vehicles from Moradabad to Meerut would be diverted to Atrasi road in Amroha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown