Hectic efforts to persuade Ramdev
New Delhi: Hectic back-channel efforts
were on till late tonight to persuade Baba Ramdev from going
ahead with his indefinite hunger strike from Saturday as the
Congress party and the government held consultations at the
highest level to avert a Hazare-like protest on the streets.
Indications that both the sides were in serious
discussions came when Ramdev called off a press conference
scheduled this evening at Ramlila Maidan where he is to sit on
fast two days later.
The cancellation of the media briefing took place on
the ground that there was "serious dialogue" on with the
government and that he would update the media about the
"conclusive" outcome tomorrow after the second-round of talks.
Acharya Balkrishnan, a close aide of Ramdev, said even
if the government concedes to all the demands, the
`satyagraha` fast will take place for three days at least.
After reports that civil society was divided on the
Lokpal Bill, Anna Hazare today announced that he will join
Ramdev`s protest on Sunday but cautioned him that the
government would "play fraud" by making false promises.
The Core Group of the Congress met at Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh`s residence where party chief Sonia Gandhi and
senior ministers, including Pranab Mukherjee, P Chidambaram, A
K Antony and senior leader Ahmed Patel.
This was followed by another high-level meeting of
ministers and top officials when a draft of an agreement is
understood to have been firmed up. This would be put on offer
at tomorrow`s meeting with Ramdev.
The party, which had disapproved senior ministers
rushing to the airport here yesterday for talks with the yoga
guru, left it to the government to deal with the issue in a
proper manner. Meanwhile, after coming out of the meeting Subodh Kant
Sahai told reporters, "If Baba Ramdev is serious about issues
raised by him and if the Government is serious about following
them, then there should be no difficulty in solving them."
On today`s meeting, he said, "Based on yesterday`s talks,
we met here to discuss about tomorrow`s meeting (with Baba
Parliamentary Affairs Minister P K Bansal said the
government was not weak on the issue.
"Its incorrect to think that the government is weak. It
has to look into various issues and points raised by various
people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'