Heinous crimes reported in city yet to be solved
New Delhi: Around 20 percent of heinous
crimes like murder and rape reported in the capital this year
are yet to be solved even as police claimed that there was a
decline in the number of such incidents.
Of the heinous crimes, working out of murder cases was
the least as 27.59 percent of the 87 cases reported this year
According to Delhi Police statistics, a total of 330
heinous crimes were reported this year till March nine which
is a 16.24 percent decrease from the 394 reported during the
same period last year.
"There is a decline in the number of heinous crime in
the city this year compared to the corresponding period last
year," a senior police official said.
However, he said, overall 72.41 percent cases were
The figures showed that murder cases have decreased to
87 from 96 last year though attempt to murder cases showed an
increase of two to 56.
Incidents of robbery also showed a declining trend as
it registered 113 this year as against 142 the previous year
"One of the important decline was noted in rape cases
where the numbers came down to 55 from 82. This year rape
cases have come down by 32.93 percent and molestation cases
are down by 24.79 percent," the official said.
Dacoity was down to seven from previous year`s eight
while kidnapping for ransom cases were two this year as
against five last year. Snatching cases also came down to 197
The official said all the seven cases of dacoity
reported this year and two cases of kidnapping for ransom were
solved while 92.73 cases of rapes were solved.
"The lowest rate of solving of cases among heinous
crimes was in murder at 72.41 percent. However, 91.07 percent of the attempt to murder cases were solved," the official
According to the official, a total of 4,188 persons
were arrested this year till February 28 in heinous and
"Twenty-five were convicted while 11 are acquitted.
894 are facing trial while investigations are pending against
3,258 accused," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference