Help pouring in for the homeless in Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal Thursday said help is pouring in large number to assist the government in converting night shelters operating from plastic tents into porta cabins.
"After the government`s announcement to replace all the night shelters being run from plastic tents with porta cabins within three days, many people messaged us and pledged their help.
"Many organisations wanted to know where they can put up porta cabins. No doubt, it is the government`s responsibility but this is the benefit when the entire society works towards bringing change," said Kejriwal here today.
Delhi government had yesterday announced a series of measures to provide roof to the homeless in biting cold sweeping the city and decided to replace all the night shelters being run from plastic tents with porta cabins within three days.
"An order has been passed to replace all night shelters with porta cabins within three days," Kejriwal had said. He had also directed SDMs to conduct inspections in their respective areas during night hours and ensure night shelters are being run properly.
SDMs had also been asked to prepare a list of areas, where night shelters are required, by January 4 morning.
Kejriwal said that during the past few days, ministers and AAP volunteers have been paying visits to night shelters and places where the homeless are living and taking steps for their welfare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!