High-powered committee to probe New Delhi station stampede
New Delhi: Railways on Monday constituted a high-powered committee of senior railway officials to probe into the stampede incident at New Delhi station after scrapping two earlier panels set up to look into the mishap.
The three-member committee will comprise Additional
Member (Commercial) Brij Mohan, Addtional Member (Civil
Engineering), SK Malik and additional Director General
Northern Railway PK Mehta.
Two persons were killed and eight injured in the
stampede at the New Delhi Railway Station yesterday.
The committee has been asked to submit its report into
the stampede as soon as possible, a senior railway ministry
The high-powered committee has been set up in place of
the four-member committee following the instruction of Railway
Minister Mamata Banerjee taking into account the gravity of
the situation, the official said.
Banerjee had yesterday constituted a three-member
panel to probe into the stampede only to disband it within
hours and replace it with an upgraded committee consisting of
The incident apparently took place due to a last
minute interchange of platform for two Bihar-bound trains, but
railways maintained that heavy rush at the foot over bridge
and tripping of passengers led to the mishap.
The probe team has launched its investigation, the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death