High-security number plates: SC issues notices to officials
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday issued
contempt notices to Delhi, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh
governments for their failure to implement its order on
tamper-proof number plates and licenses for vehicles saying
obedience of its direction is necessary for judicial
Taking strong exception to the disobedience of its
oder on the part of the states and union territories, a bench
headed by the Chief Justice SH Kapadia directed the officials
to be personally present before it to explain why contempt
proceedings should not be initiated against them.
The bench for the time being left officials of 10
other states, which also failed to take any step in
implementing its direction, and directed them to file
affidavit as otherwise contempt proceedings would also
initiated against them and "exemplary" cost imposed on them.
"We direct Secretary, Transport/Commissioner, State
Transport Authority of these states to be present in this
court on the next date of hearing and show cause why the court
should not initiate proceedings against them under the
provisions of the Contempt of Courts Act," the bench said.
"The irresistible and only conclusion that can be
drawn from the facts on record and the above circumstances is
that it is an intentional disobedience of the orders of the
court by the concerned authorities in the respective states.
The obedience of orders of this court is necessary for
preserving the integrity of this constitutional institution,"
the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery