Hilleman Labs, Gotovax AB to develop cholera vaccine
New Delhi: Two global pharmaceutical firms - Hilleman Laboratories and Gotovax AB - Tuesday joined hands to develop affordable oral cholera vaccine.
"Our partnership with Gotovax AB is carefully aligned to Hilleman Laboratories` core philosophy of addressing unmet health needs of the underprivileged by developing accessible and innovative vaccines which are affordable," Hilleman Laboratories` chief executive officer Davinder Gill said.
Hilleman Laboratories is a Merck & Co and UK-based Wellcome Trust joint venture while Gotovax AB is a bio-pharmaceutical firm.
"There is an urgent need for highly effective and affordable Cholera vaccines both for outbreaks as well as mass vaccination campaigns.
"Cholera is endemic in over 50 countries with estimated mortality of 100,000-120,000 deaths each year and a morbidity of 3.8-4.4 million annual cases attributed to this disease," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days