Hizbul`s "Mr Surrender" arrested in Delhi
New Delhi/Jammu: After evading arrest for
nearly a decade, Hizbul Mujahideen`s self-styled divisional
commander Mohammed Abdullah referred to as "Mr Surrender", was
arrested in Delhi in the wee hours of Monday.
Mohammed Abdullah Chechi alias Abdullah Inqualabi, a
resident of Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir, had come to the capital
only last week to "activate some sleeper cells," a senior
police officer said.
He was arrested in a joint operation by Jammu and
Kashmir and Delhi Police from Deer Park in South Delhi and
Delhi Police claimed that he was nabbed after a brief exchange
Abdullah was known as "Mr Surrender" as he used to
contact several senior police officials with a proposal to
surrender while carrying out his nefarious and anti-national
Abdullah crossed over from PoK to Rajouri in Jammu
region in 2000 and got married to a local girl to hide his
identity, a senior official said.
Delhi Police officials stated that "as soon as he
alighted from his vehicle, we tried to catch him. He tried to
escape and went inside the park and we chased him. In a bid to
escape, he opened fire. Three-four rounds were fired." A
pistol was recovered from him, police said.
He was produced in a local court which remanded him to
14-day police custody.
A team from Rajouri Police headed by a Deputy
Superintendent of Police assisted the Delhi Police and central
security agencies in nabbing the accused.
During initial questioning, Abdullah told the
investigators that he had come to the capital to find a
hide-out as Jammu and Kashmir police was searching for him,
the official said.
In Jammu, Inspector General of Police Ashok Kumar told
reporters that Abdullah was allegedly involved in the killing
of over 25 persons in Pir Panchal ranges.
A resident of Shahadra in PoK, Abdullah was initially
chief of Hizb`s Pir Panjal Regiment (HMPPR) which got wiped
out recently and he took over as Hizb divisional commander for
Jammu province, the IG said.
Abdullah had let loose reign of terror in Pir Panchal
area and his area of operation was Budhal, Dharamshal,
Kalakote, Shopian, Mahore, Gulabgarh and other parts of Reasi
district, he said.
He is alleged to be involved in the massacre of four
Hindus in Dharshal area of Rajouri district on 14-5-2005,
killing of three SPOs in Draman Bhudal area of Rajouri
district on 18th of November 2009, followed by killing of
three brothers in Tryath in Kalakote belt in 2005 and BSF
jawan, his wife, 2 SPOs in Kandi belt and Pirgagala areas in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan