Holy Quran allows polygamy, not encourages it: Court
New Delhi: A maulvi, accused of performing a girl`s marriage forcibly with a married man, has been denied anticipatory bail by a Delhi court which said the Sharia Law allows polygamy but only under special circumstances.
The court denied the relief to Maulvi Mustafa Raja of Delhi dismissing his arguments that as per the Sharia Law, a man is allowed to keep four wives at a time.
"I may observe that even in countries governed by Sharia (Islamic) law, the second marriage is permitted under special circumstances such as an illness of the first wife or her inability to bear children.
"In these cases, with the first wife`s consent, a man may marry again and this is referred to as polygamy, a subset of polygamous marriages. The Holy Quran permits a Muslim man to marry more than one woman at a time (up to a maximum of four), but does not encourage such behaviour," Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said.
The court also said polygamy is only permitted in certain circumstances including when the husband`s death has left his wife with no other means of support.
According to the police, Raja had forcibly got the girl married with accused Nadeem Khan last year without her consent and also in her parents` absence and that the victim was raped by her alleged husband.
Even the consent of Khan`s first wife, from whom he has got three children, was not taken at the time of his second marriage, the police had said.
The girl had managed to escape from Khan`s clutches and had informed her parents about the incident after reaching her house, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?