Home guards deployed in DTC night service buses
New Delhi: In the backdrop of gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus, Delhi government on Thursday began deploying home guards in 89 Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) night service buses.
These 89 buses will cover almost all parts of the city and run between 11 pm and 5am.
The deployment started at a function attended by Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami.
"All the 89 buses, each having a home guard on board, started operation from tonight," a senior transport department official said.
The decision came a day after Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in a meeting with Goswami and other officials decided to deploy home guards and to increase the services of night buses from existing 42 to 89.
The decision was a part of Delhi government`s measures to enchance security of women in buses.
DTC operates a fleet of around 6,000 buses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh