Home guards deployed in DTC night service buses
New Delhi: In the backdrop of gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in a moving bus, Delhi government on Thursday began deploying home guards in 89 Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) night service buses.
These 89 buses will cover almost all parts of the city and run between 11 pm and 5am.
The deployment started at a function attended by Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami.
"All the 89 buses, each having a home guard on board, started operation from tonight," a senior transport department official said.
The decision came a day after Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in a meeting with Goswami and other officials decided to deploy home guards and to increase the services of night buses from existing 42 to 89.
The decision was a part of Delhi government`s measures to enchance security of women in buses.
DTC operates a fleet of around 6,000 buses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why