Home Min likely to approve MCD split next week
New Delhi: After months of wait, Delhi
Government is all set to get formal approval of the Union Home
Ministry early next week to its long-pending proposal for
trifurcation of the MCD ahead of municipal polls.
Being strongly pushed by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit,
the proposal to split the MCD has been vetted by the Union Law
Ministry and Home Ministry is in the process of sending it to
"We are expecting the formal approval (to the proposal)
on Monday as Law Ministry has already sent the file to Home
Ministry," top officials of Delhi Government said.
The Delhi government had sent the proposal to Home
Ministry in early June seeking the go-ahead for trifurcation
of the MCD ahead of municipal polls.
The Home Ministry, after giving the in-principle approval
last week, had sent the proposal to the Law Ministry for
The Chief Minister, who has been a strong votary of
splitting the MCD, had met Home Minister P Chidambaram several
times in the last three months seeking early clearance to the
proposal. Dikshit had raised the issue with Congress president
Sonia Gandhi in a meeting earlier this month.
The officials said an assembly session would be called
shortly after approval to the proposal is sent by the Home
Ministry to Delhi Government.
Last month the Home Ministry wanted certain amendments in
the proposal, specifically on appointment of Commissioners for
the three proposed municipal councils so as to allow the
Centre to continue to have a say in the process.
The Delhi Government has been pressing for early go-ahead
to the proposal so that the entire process of trifurcating the
MCD could be completed well ahead of coming into force of the
election code of conduct for the municipal polls which are
scheduled to be held in April next year.
The Home Ministry had in September returned the proposal
to the city government wanting to know specifically what would
be the administrative structure, distribution of funds and how
the city government plans to ensure proper coordination among
three proposed bodies. The government had sent a fresh
proposal last month.
Dikshit has been strongly pushing for trifurcation of
MCD as well as increasing reservation of seats for women to 50
per cent from the current 33 per cent.
She had to face opposition from within Congress for
the proposal with several leaders even going to party chief
Sonia Gandhi to complain against the move.
However, after much deliberation within the party and
discussions with senior AICC leaders, it was decided the MCD
would be split into three parts and the number of wards would
be kept at 272.
As per the bill, the new civic bodies in North and
South Delhi will have 104 wards each, while the civic body in
East Delhi will have 64 wards.
Both North and South Delhi municipality will have 26
assembly constituencies each while the 16 assembly segments
will fall under the East Delhi municipality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India