Home Minister assures inquiry into minor`s rape
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday assured that proper action would be taken in the rape case of the five-year-old girl here.
"An inquiry has been ordered. Proper steps will be taken after the inquiry report will be handed over to us," said Shinde.
He said that he was informed of the details of the rape case Friday and that the accused had been arrested and will be brought to Delhi from Muzaffarpur in Bihar.
Replying to a question about the victim`s condition, Shinde said: "We are trying to ascertain her medical condition."
The girl was abducted April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a room in which the attacker lived, on the ground floor of the building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar. The victim`s family stays in the same building, police said.
The accused Manoj Kumar, 25, was arrested from a village in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district early Saturday, police said.
The girl, who was repeatedly raped, was rescued when members of her family heard her screams Wednesday. She is undergoing treatment at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown