Home Minister assures inquiry into minor`s rape
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday assured that proper action would be taken in the rape case of the five-year-old girl here.
"An inquiry has been ordered. Proper steps will be taken after the inquiry report will be handed over to us," said Shinde.
He said that he was informed of the details of the rape case Friday and that the accused had been arrested and will be brought to Delhi from Muzaffarpur in Bihar.
Replying to a question about the victim`s condition, Shinde said: "We are trying to ascertain her medical condition."
The girl was abducted April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a room in which the attacker lived, on the ground floor of the building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar. The victim`s family stays in the same building, police said.
The accused Manoj Kumar, 25, was arrested from a village in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district early Saturday, police said.
The girl, who was repeatedly raped, was rescued when members of her family heard her screams Wednesday. She is undergoing treatment at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!