How spokesperson`s statement can be attributed to others: Delhi court
New Delhi: Former IPS officer R B Sreekumar, who has filed a criminal defamation complaint against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and BJP leaders, today faced searching questions from a Delhi court which asked him how a party spokesperson`s statement could be attributed to other office bearers.
"If a party spokesperson chooses to cite something as an example, then how can all party office bearers be held liable for it," Metropolitan Magistrate Akash Jain asked counsel for Sreekumar.
Sreekumar has also named BJP President Rajnath Singh, BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi and Nambi Narayanan, a retired scientist of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), as accused in his complaint over the alleged attacks on him in the ISRO spying case.
During the hearing, the court asked this to Sreekumar`s counsel after the lawyer said that his client was defamed by the press statement issued by Meenakshi Lekhi in which the former Director General of Gujarat Police was called a "traitor".
Sreekumar`s counsel said that the former IPS officer was "nailed" in TV interviews by BJP leaders, who gave separate statements against him, and he was even called "anti-national".
"I (Sreekumar) am specifically being named as traitor in the press statement issued by Lekhi. This is the party`s statement as being the party`s national spokesperson, Lekhi is speaking on behalf of the party," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj