Hyderabad police seek report from Delhi cops on IM member`s arrest
Hyderabad: City Police have sought information from their Delhi counterparts in connection with the arrest of a terror suspect from Shaheen Nagar area of the city last week.
"An investigation report has been sought from Delhi Police. Our intelligence officials are seeking more details regarding Sayed Maqbool alias Zuber Maqbaool. After this, we will also seek information from intelligence wing," Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma told reporters on Monday.
Delhi Police on October 23 arrested Maqbool from Shaheen Nagar area under Pahadi Shareef locality after claiming that Indian Mujahideen (IM) was planning to carry out a `fidayeen` attack at Bihar`s Bodh Gaya to avenge "atrocities" committed against Muslims in Myanmar.
Maqbool was the fifth person to be arrested by Delhi cops in connection with August 1 Pune serial blasts. His name was revealed during interrogation of the three arrested IM members Asad Khan, Sayed Feroz and Irfan Khan.
A fruit vendor Maqbool allegedly imparted training in making IEDs to suspected IM members.
Maqbool was released on bail in October 2009 after his life-term in a murder case was commuted by the Andhra Pradesh High Court, Sharma said, adding he was staying in a rented house here before being picked up by Delhi Police.
According to Delhi Police, Maqbool helped a terror suspect, identified as Imran, in carrying out a recce of some locations in Hyderabad on directions of Riyaz Bhatkal.
Maqbool is also said to be an associate of Indian Muslim Mohammadi Mujahideen (IMMM) founder Azam Ghori to carry out terror strikes in the country at the behest of LeT.
Ghori was killed in a encounter with police in Karimnagar district in 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown