I may have to leave Amethi after women bill passed, jokes Rahul
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi`s remarks that he
was afraid that he may have to "leave" Amethi after the
passage of the women`s reservation bill led to peals of
laughter at the Congress Plenary on Sunday.
"I am afraid I may have to leave from Amethi" (his
Parliamentary constituency) because of the 33 per cent
reservation for women in Lok Sabha and state assemblies, he
said while addressing the party Plenary.
He said that women`s participation was increasing in the
democracy and after 50 per cent reservation for women in
Panchayats, 33 per cent seats were going to be reserved in Lok
Sabha and assemblies.
In the political resolution adopted, the party said the
UPA-II government has stayed true to its commitment to
empowering the women.
Noting that women`s reservation bill has already been
passed in the Rajya Sabha, the resolution urged the government
and its allies to ensure the speedy passage of the bill in the
Lok Sabha so that "women may take their rightful place in the
democratic fabric of India."
The party said that it was proud to lead a government
that has seen the first women President of India and the first
woman Speaker of the Lok Sabha.
The resolution also noted that late prime minister Rajiv
Gandhi was instrumental in bringing about 33 per cent
reservation for women in Panchayat raj system.
"Today the effects of this path breaking decision are
clear for all to see ... There are more elected women
representatives along in India than in the rest of the world
It also lauded the UPA-II government for preparing a
legislation to enhance reservation for women in the
institutions of local self-government to 50 per cent.
The resolution had a reference to amendments to the
Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act and National
Mission for Empowerment of Women, adding that this was an
initiative of the government to ensure that all schemes
focused on women function in a coordinated manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation