I-T probing people involved in defence deals
New Delhi: The Income Tax department has put under scanner defence deals and certain individuals after it began probing transactions related to arms businessman Abhishek Verma.
The department has gathered documents from CBI after it initiated a tax evasion related probe against Verma and few of his business associates in the national capital.
The department had last year approached the Ministry of Defence in this regard last year regarding information on any middleman who could be involved in illegal defence procurement deals.
The department, however, did not specifically ask about any deal including the current controversy over the purchase of 12 VVIP choppers from Italian firm AgustaWestland, sources said.
The department has begun probing the financial transactions of few Indians who have been named in documents received by a estranged business associate of Verma and were received by CBI and the Enforcement Directorate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened