I-T probing people involved in defence deals
New Delhi: The Income Tax department has put under scanner defence deals and certain individuals after it began probing transactions related to arms businessman Abhishek Verma.
The department has gathered documents from CBI after it initiated a tax evasion related probe against Verma and few of his business associates in the national capital.
The department had last year approached the Ministry of Defence in this regard last year regarding information on any middleman who could be involved in illegal defence procurement deals.
The department, however, did not specifically ask about any deal including the current controversy over the purchase of 12 VVIP choppers from Italian firm AgustaWestland, sources said.
The department has begun probing the financial transactions of few Indians who have been named in documents received by a estranged business associate of Verma and were received by CBI and the Enforcement Directorate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today
- Will Mika Singh's guest appearance on 'The Kapil Sharma Show' cost him 'Comedy Nights LIVE'?
- Bihar road rage: Manorama Devi's bail plea postponed
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Delhi wakes to cool morning after rain, thunderstorm bring down mercury