I-T probing people involved in defence deals
New Delhi: The Income Tax department has put under scanner defence deals and certain individuals after it began probing transactions related to arms businessman Abhishek Verma.
The department has gathered documents from CBI after it initiated a tax evasion related probe against Verma and few of his business associates in the national capital.
The department had last year approached the Ministry of Defence in this regard last year regarding information on any middleman who could be involved in illegal defence procurement deals.
The department, however, did not specifically ask about any deal including the current controversy over the purchase of 12 VVIP choppers from Italian firm AgustaWestland, sources said.
The department has begun probing the financial transactions of few Indians who have been named in documents received by a estranged business associate of Verma and were received by CBI and the Enforcement Directorate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage