I-T probing people involved in defence deals
New Delhi: The Income Tax department has put under scanner defence deals and certain individuals after it began probing transactions related to arms businessman Abhishek Verma.
The department has gathered documents from CBI after it initiated a tax evasion related probe against Verma and few of his business associates in the national capital.
The department had last year approached the Ministry of Defence in this regard last year regarding information on any middleman who could be involved in illegal defence procurement deals.
The department, however, did not specifically ask about any deal including the current controversy over the purchase of 12 VVIP choppers from Italian firm AgustaWestland, sources said.
The department has begun probing the financial transactions of few Indians who have been named in documents received by a estranged business associate of Verma and were received by CBI and the Enforcement Directorate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!