I was detained for talking with media: Geelani
New Delhi: A day after he was detained following the hanging of Afzal Guru, Delhi University lecturer SAR Geelani Sunday said his detention by police happened because he had spoken to the media.
"They did not want me to speak to the press, so they detained me," Geelani told a news agency.
Geelani, who teaches at Zakir Hussain College, Delhi University, was arrested for his alleged involvement in the parliament attack of Dec 13, 2001. He was acquitted by the Supreme Court in 2003.
On Saturday, Geelani spoke to the press soon after Afzal Guru, convicted in that case, was hanged. Geelani had slammed the government for hanging the man without informing his family in Kashmir.
Geelani was picked up by Delhi Police`s Special Cell Saturday. Some other leaders from Kashmir were also detained.
"They took me to the Special Cell offices in New Friends Colony," Geelani said.
Delhi Police has however claimed they did not detain Geelani. Sources from the force admitted, however, that some people were being "monitored" as a preventive measure.
Geelani said that he had been let off after 10 pm Saturday, and has been "advised" not to go out of his house.
"Even today, I have been advised to stay home. It`s like home arrest," Geelani said.
Police also detained Hurriyat leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and journalist Iftikhar Gilani.
Iftikar Gilani was released Saturday afternoon, after media persons arrived at the scene and protested his detention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi