I will work for welfare of 1984 riot victims: Tytler

Last Updated: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 17:45

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Appearing relieved after a city court today let him off in a
1984 anti-Sikh riots case after accepting CBI`s closure report
giving clean chit to him, Congress leader Jagdish Tytler said his stand had been vindicated but he would not celebrate.

“There is nothing to celebrate…what happened was not good. I will now work for the welfare of the families affected by riots,” he told a TV channel hours after the judgement.

Tytler said he had paid a heavy price in his long battle for clearing his name.

“I have maintained form the beginning that I have nothing to do with this case. Today the truth has come out,” he said.

“I am happy,” he added.

Accepting the CBI`s closure report giving a clean chit
to the former Union Minister, the court said that there was no
ground to order further investigation in the case.

The CBI had submitted that there was nothing to
proceed against 66-year-old Tytler as two witnesses, Jasbir
Singh and Surinder Singh, were not reliable and their
statements were "false and concocted".

The alleged role of Tytler in the case relating to the
killing of three persons, including one Badal Singh in 1984,
near Gurudwara Pulbangash in north Delhi was re-investigated
by the CBI after a court had in December 2007 refused to
accept a closure report filed by the agency.

-PTI inputs



First Published: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 17:45

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus