IAF planning to procure new air defence systems
New Delhi: Looking to strengthen its
capabilities to tackle aerial threats, Indian Air Force is
planning to procure short-range air defence systems.
In a recently issued Request for Information (RFI), the
IAF has said that the air defence system "will be employed for
providing terminal air defence to selected vital assets and
points in plains, deserts, semi deserts, hilly and mountainous
terrain as pertaining in our country."
Planning to procure a system with a strike-range between
500 metres to three kilometres, the IAF wants the new air
defence guns to be capable of engaging targets such as
aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles and cruise missiles,
official sources said.
It has specified that the air defence systems should be
able to strike targets at an effective height of 1,500 metres.
The IAF wants the radars of the system to be operational
and capable of detecting targets in all-weather conditions.
It also wants the new systems to be highly road mobile
and that it should be either mounted on a vehicle or be
capable of being towed behind vehicles.
After receiving responses from local and foreign vendors,
IAF is expected to release a global tender soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler