Icy winds grip Delhi, min temperature above normal
New Delhi: After a brief spell of warm weather, Delhiites woke up to a chilly Sunday as icy winds blew across the city even though the minimum temperature was above normal.
The winds were blowing at a velocity of 16 km per hour, a senior met official said.
Though the minimum temperature was nine degrees Celsius, 2 degrees above normal, the citizens felt more chill than the usual due to the winds.
Yesterday the minimum temperature was recorded at a 10 deg C and maximum was at 21.3 deg C.
The MeT office had earlier said warm weather conditions would be short-lived, and mercury could dip over the weekend following snowfall in the Himalayan region and rains in the foothills.
The piercing chill and icy winds that had persisted for several days cleared away on Monday when the maximum temperature rose to 19.2 degrees Celsius, after keeping below 15 degrees for almost a week.
Low temperatures coupled with icy winds from the northern mountains had made life difficult for the people for some days. The capital has recorded at least five cold-related deaths since December 26.
According to MeT statistics, the record for the highest maximum for the month of January was 32.5 degrees Celsius recorded on the 28th of 2004. The record minimum is -0.6 deg C recorded on 16th of the month in 1935.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city