IGI airport: Fog affects schedule of over 120 flights, 18 diverted
New Delhi: Operations at the IGI airport here were badly affected for the second consecutive day on Monday as dense fog once again wreck havoc on the schedule of over 120 flights besides forcing diversion of 18 others, including the one carrying a Russian delegation.
The dense fog enveloped the airport around 10.15 PM last night and by the morning, the general visibility dropped to zero. While the runway visibility was less than 25 m on third runway (29/11), it dipped to 150 m on the main runway (28/10).
No operations were going on the third runway as the visibility was far below the required minimum of 50 m for landing and 125 m and 150 m for small and large aircraft respectively to take off, an airport official said.
A total of 18 flights, three international and 15 domestic ones, were diverted to Jaipur, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Lucknow, Bangalore, Hyderabad.
One of the planes, which was carrying a Russian delegation and coming from Sheremetyevo International Airport in Moscow, was diverted to Jaipur after the runway visibility dropped significantly, the official said.
Two other international flights, one of Jet Airways from Singapore and other of China Southern Airlines from Guangzhou, were also diverted Kolkata and Ahmedabad respectively.
Air traffic controllers had to return back two domestic flights -- a SpiceJet flight from Coimbatore to Delhi via Hyderabad (SG 236) to Hyderabad and a Jet Airways flight (9W 812) from Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 11-year-old blood cancer patient seeks help from PM Narendra Modi, CM Akhilesh Yadav
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 up for grabs in first flash sale today
- With Facebook's new Slideshow feature, convert your photos into mini-movies!- Watch
- Ringing Bells starts delivery of Freedom 251 smartphone from today
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's latest video is CUTE! Watch here