IGI to host world`s largest freighter
New Delhi: After hosting the world`s biggest
passenger airliner, the Delhi airport is ready to handle the
largest cargo aircraft from November.
"DIAL is all set to become the first airport in the
country to play host to the first ever code-F scheduled cargo
aircraft 747-8 -- the only code-F aircraft in Boeing`s fleet.
British Airways is expected to commence its operations from
first week of November," a DIAL spokesperson said.
The airlines will operate on London Stansted-Hong Kong
Last year in July, Emirates successfully operated an
A-380 commercial flight at the Indira Gandhi International
Airport here which is equipped to handle operations of such
large Code-F aircraft, he said.
"Terminal-3 and its associated facilities were built for
code F compliant. Our runway 11/29, connected taxiway and
cross taxiways are code F compliant with a larger object
clearance to accommodate the Code-F aircraft," the
Cargo handled at IGIA has gone up to 0.6 million metric
tonnes annually in 2010-11 from 0.3 million metric tonnes in
At present, Delhi airport handles an average 10 to 20
freighters per day. This is due to a more effective and
efficient system now than it was in 2006-07.
The introduction of 100 per cent Electronic data
Interchange (EDI) at the international side, a Common User
Domestic Cargo Terminal (CUDCT) and organised trucking
services have all contributed to more efficient processes, he
Apart from it, three new parking bays have also been
The forecast for cargo growth is 15 per cent and DIAL
aims to touch one mn metric tonne mark by 2014-15.
Boeing launched the 747-8 Family with orders for the
freighter in November 2005 from Cargolux and Nippon Cargo
Airlines, after considerable study of the market feasibility
of a new 747.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan