Illegal colonies in farmland: Govt to act against officials
New Delhi: The Delhi government Monday warned of
strict action against the builders and officials found
involved in allowing illegal colonies in agricultural land in
A decision in this regard was taken on Monday at a Cabinet
meeting chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit who expressed
concern over recent cases of misuse of agricultural land,
particularly in Narela where some government officials
allegedly in nexus with builders had sold the plots to
"Strict action would be taken against ongoing
unauthorised construction in new colonies coming up on
agricultural land and extension of 1639 unauthorised colonies
which are being considered for regularisation," PWD Minister
Rajkumar Chauhan told reporters after the meeting.
In Narela, the state anti-corruption bureau (ACB) has
recently registered an FIR against a dozen builders and
officials of the Revenue Department, DDA, MCD and the Delhi
Police for allegedly dividing the land into small plots and
selling them to unsuspecting buyers.
Chauhan also advised the people to desist from investing
their hard-earned money for such deals.
The minister said that it has also been decided to take
appropriate action against those officers who are found
negligent in preventing such construction activities.
"The Cabinet has taken a serious view of unauthorised
construction which is bound to damage planned growth of the
city apart from creating hindrance in providing basic
"It was also made clear that the officers will not be
spared for dereliction in their duties. It is time to
disseminate a crystal clear message that not even a single new
unauthorised colony will be allowed, in any way, to come up in
the capital city," he said.
Chauhan referred to a committee constituted by Lieutenant
Governor Tejendra Khanna to monitor the growth of unauthorised
construction in any part of the city and to ensure immediate
The committee comprising of the concerned DC (Revenue),
DCP, DC (MCD) and a senior officer from DDA Land Protection
Branch will monitor the situation on a regular basis, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!