Illegal construction: HC rebukes Delhi Dy Speaker
New Delhi: Delhi Assembly Deputy Speaker
Amrish Gautam was on Tuesday rebuked by the Delhi High Court for
challenging city Lokayukta`s order for a probe into an illegal
construction at his residence in east Delhi and directed by
the court to either demolish it or face the music.
Justice Hima Kohli ticked off Gautam after his counsel
admitted that some portion of the construction was indeed
"If you yourself admit that there is some unauthorised
construction, why don`t you demolish the illegal part and get
clearance from the civic agency?", Justice Kohli asked.
Guatam`s counsel, however, refused to give any
undertaking to the court. At this, the court asked him to file
written reply by July 22 explaining to it as to what action he
wants to take "to save" his property.
The order came on Gautam`s plea challenging the May 30
order of the Lokayukta, who had rejected his claim of immunity
against probe into the alleged unauthorised construction at
his property in East Delhi.
Deputy Speaker Gautam had contended before Lokayoukta
that the anti-corruption watchdog was not empowered to probe
into Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Councillor Preeti
Behan`s allegation, accusing him of having undertaken
unauthorised construction at his property, bought in 1989.
The MCD councillor had approached the Lokayukta for a
probe into alleged unauthorised construction of 109 square
meter in Gautam`s property at Khichripur in East Delhi.
"According to the constitutional scheme, the deputy
speaker does not enjoy any immunity and the allegations of
breach of norms are related to a period when he was only an
MLA," the Lokayukta had said rejecting Gautam`s plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre