Illegal construction: HC rebukes Delhi Dy Speaker
New Delhi: Delhi Assembly Deputy Speaker
Amrish Gautam was on Tuesday rebuked by the Delhi High Court for
challenging city Lokayukta`s order for a probe into an illegal
construction at his residence in east Delhi and directed by
the court to either demolish it or face the music.
Justice Hima Kohli ticked off Gautam after his counsel
admitted that some portion of the construction was indeed
"If you yourself admit that there is some unauthorised
construction, why don`t you demolish the illegal part and get
clearance from the civic agency?", Justice Kohli asked.
Guatam`s counsel, however, refused to give any
undertaking to the court. At this, the court asked him to file
written reply by July 22 explaining to it as to what action he
wants to take "to save" his property.
The order came on Gautam`s plea challenging the May 30
order of the Lokayukta, who had rejected his claim of immunity
against probe into the alleged unauthorised construction at
his property in East Delhi.
Deputy Speaker Gautam had contended before Lokayoukta
that the anti-corruption watchdog was not empowered to probe
into Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Councillor Preeti
Behan`s allegation, accusing him of having undertaken
unauthorised construction at his property, bought in 1989.
The MCD councillor had approached the Lokayukta for a
probe into alleged unauthorised construction of 109 square
meter in Gautam`s property at Khichripur in East Delhi.
"According to the constitutional scheme, the deputy
speaker does not enjoy any immunity and the allegations of
breach of norms are related to a period when he was only an
MLA," the Lokayukta had said rejecting Gautam`s plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in