Illegal constructions: 10 time rise in case registration
New Delhi: Delhiites may not be impressed
with the efforts of police and civic bodies in checking
illegal construction in the capital but statistics show a
sharp rise in cases and arrests this year.
According to official figures, 157 cases were registered
this year so far in connection with illegal constructions in
which 187 people were arrested.
"This figure is a quantum jump from the past few years
and one has to remember that this figure is only for the first
ten months of the year," a senior police official said.
Last year, there were only 59 cases registered in this
connection while the number of arrests were 67. The figure was
41 and 49 for the same in 2009. In 2008, the number of cases
was at a dismal 13 and number of arrests at 20.
"There is more than double increase compared to last year
and ten times more than what was registered in 2008," the
The official said whenever any unauthorised construction
is noticed, action is taken by the agency concerned such as
MCD. A nodal steering committee also has been set up by Delhi
High Court to monitor unauthorised constructions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie