Illegal immigration racket: Five held at IGI
New Delhi: Five persons of a family have been apprehended by security agencies at the international airport here in connection with an alleged racket of using fake visas to travel on national carrier Air India to London.
The five are suspected to be Afghan nationals and were held by the security staff of Air India, who suspected the movements of this group inside the T3 of the airport.
The case has been transferred to Delhi Police after the visas stamped on the passports were reportedly found to be fake.
"Our security staff detected the five persons yesterday at IGIA. We have handed over the case to the police and investigation is on to check the authenticity of the travel documents of these people," AirIndia`s Executive Director (Security) and CVO B K Maurya told.
According to officials, the five people, including three women and a young boy, arrived at the IGI yesterday to take an Air India flight to London under the fake family name of `Oberoi` but later changed their plans and purchased new tickets for Hyderabad after apparently their illegal travel deal with a `agent` fell apart.
Officials said the main person in the travelling party has identified himself as Arvinder Singh, a resident of Tilak Nagar in the national capital.
"He said he and his family have Afghan nationality. This is being probed," a senior official said.
The airport CCTVs have recorded the footage of the five people handing over their baggage to a suspected man, who security agencies suspect to be the `agent` who had promised fake passports and visas to the family.
The agencies are now probing if the passport of the five was also forged or was made under false addresses and identity cards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31