Illegal jeans factories stealing power in Delhi
New Delhi: Power distribution company BSES
Yamuna Power Limited has found rampant theft of power by
illegal jeans manufacturing units in the East Delhi`s Krishna
"These illegal factories are stealing electricity to the
tune of 5000 KW per month, causing a loss of Rs two crore per
month to BYPL. This also leads to trippings and cause
inconvenience to the residents," a discom spokesperson said.
The factories are not only indulging in rampant theft of
electricity, but also causing loss of crores in revenue to
the Sales Tax and Excise Departments.
BYPL would write not only to the Delhi Police but also to
the Excise, Sales Tax and Environment Departments, appealing
for assistance in its campaign against these illegal units, he
To pin-point power theft and reduce transmission loss
levels in Krishna Nagar area, BYPL has introduced GIS, DT
metering and modern analytics.
"With the installation of these advanced gadgets, it was
revealed that the five sub-stations in the area were supplying
7,000 KW of electricity, but the company was getting revenue
of just 2,000 KW - a whopping 5,000 KW was stolen," the
The quantum of power load in Krishna Nagar area has
significantly increased due to this illegal power theft. BYPL
had to increase the number of sub-stations from two to five.
"During investigations, it was also found that some of
the factory owners hooked electricity from a BSES line about
two-three km away and then brought the cable to the factory by
laying it underground," he said.
These factories, with a business of around Rs 300 crore
annual, are energy guzzlers and they draw about 25 KW of
electricity - causing loss of crores, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble