Illegal jeans factories stealing power in Delhi
New Delhi: Power distribution company BSES
Yamuna Power Limited has found rampant theft of power by
illegal jeans manufacturing units in the East Delhi`s Krishna
"These illegal factories are stealing electricity to the
tune of 5000 KW per month, causing a loss of Rs two crore per
month to BYPL. This also leads to trippings and cause
inconvenience to the residents," a discom spokesperson said.
The factories are not only indulging in rampant theft of
electricity, but also causing loss of crores in revenue to
the Sales Tax and Excise Departments.
BYPL would write not only to the Delhi Police but also to
the Excise, Sales Tax and Environment Departments, appealing
for assistance in its campaign against these illegal units, he
To pin-point power theft and reduce transmission loss
levels in Krishna Nagar area, BYPL has introduced GIS, DT
metering and modern analytics.
"With the installation of these advanced gadgets, it was
revealed that the five sub-stations in the area were supplying
7,000 KW of electricity, but the company was getting revenue
of just 2,000 KW - a whopping 5,000 KW was stolen," the
The quantum of power load in Krishna Nagar area has
significantly increased due to this illegal power theft. BYPL
had to increase the number of sub-stations from two to five.
"During investigations, it was also found that some of
the factory owners hooked electricity from a BSES line about
two-three km away and then brought the cable to the factory by
laying it underground," he said.
These factories, with a business of around Rs 300 crore
annual, are energy guzzlers and they draw about 25 KW of
electricity - causing loss of crores, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...