Illegal migrants should not get Adhaar: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday sought Lt Governor
Tejendra Khanna`s intervention to ensure that no illegal
migrants including those from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nigeria
are issued Adhaar numbers, which are being currently issued to
residents in the city.
Senior BJP leader VK Malhotra, in a letter to Khanna,
urged him to direct concerned authorities to carry out strict
verification of people before issuance of Adhaar numbers.
"It should be ensured that Adhaar numbers are not issued
to illegal immigrants including the Bangladeshis, Pakistanis
or Nigerians who are staying illegally as it would be
impossible to identify them after numbers are issued to them,"
he said in the letter.
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique number which the Unique
Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is issuing for all
residents in India. The UIDAI is storing basic demographic and
biometric information - photograph, ten fingerprints and iris
scan - of each individual, being issued the number, in a
Welcoming issuance of Adhaar numbers to genuine citizens,
Malhotra alleged that people not having any identity proof are
producing affidavit to authorities to procure Adhaar numbers
and it is resulting in allowing a number of Bangladeshi,
Pakistani, Nigerian and other illegal immigrants to procure
"According to one estimate, five to 15 lakh Bangladeshis
are living illegally in Delhi and areas around it. The Supreme
Court and the High Court have repeatedly issued directions for
the identification and deportation of these illegal
residents," he said.
Delhi government in cooperation with UIDAI has already
set up centres across the city to collect demographic and
biometric details of the residents.
On the possibility of Adhaar numbers being issued to
illegal migrants, UIDAI chief Nandan Nilekani had on many
occasions in the past said that the number is meant for
identifying a person and is not proof of the his or her
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city