Immolation case: BR Ambedkar college principal suspended
New Delhi: The Principal of Bhim Rao Ambedkar College was on Friday suspended till the completion of a judicial probe into the self-immolation by a former employee who had charged him of sexual harassment.
Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh approved the suspension of G K Arora on the recommendation of the governing body of the college.
"The Vice Chancellor has approved the suspension of Arora after a decision was taken by governing body of Bhim Rao Ambedkar college to suspend him till an investigation is on into the case," DU Registrar Alka Sharma said.
Earlier in the day, the college`s governing body passed a resolution recommending Arora`s suspension to ensure a fair probe into the case.
Delhi government had on Wednesday had ordered a judicial probe into self-immolition by 35-year-old Pavitra Bhardwaj on September 30 at gate number 6 of Delhi Secretariat.
Bhardwaj, who succumbed to her injuries on October 7, alleged sexual and mental harassment by Arora and another staff member. She was sacked from the college two years ago.
"A resolution was passed by the members of the governing body for the suspension of the Principal. The move is to ensure that a fair probe takes place into the incident," said Shiv Nath Sharma, chairperson of the college`s governing body.
Bhardwaj was a laboratory assistant in the college in Yamuna Vihar which is a fully-funded college by Delhi government.
The inquiry is being conducted by retired Additional District Judge B L Garg who is expected to submit the report within three weeks.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) has also set up a committee to probe the case.
The decision by the college`s governing body was welcomed by the Delhi University Teachers` Association (DUTA).
"DUTA welcomes the decision of the governing body of the B R Ambedkar College. The collective effort of students, teachers and other employees in putting pressure on the authorities has resulted in this decision," DUTA President Nandita Narain said.
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part V
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut
- Two Palestinians shot dead after checkpoint attack bid: Israel
- This novel genetic method could lead to vaccine for life-threatening cancer!
- Heatwave continues to sweep several parts of country; Odisha records highest maximum temperature of 46.3 degrees Celsius