Immolation case: BR Ambedkar college principal suspended
New Delhi: The Principal of Bhim Rao Ambedkar College was on Friday suspended till the completion of a judicial probe into the self-immolation by a former employee who had charged him of sexual harassment.
Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh approved the suspension of G K Arora on the recommendation of the governing body of the college.
"The Vice Chancellor has approved the suspension of Arora after a decision was taken by governing body of Bhim Rao Ambedkar college to suspend him till an investigation is on into the case," DU Registrar Alka Sharma said.
Earlier in the day, the college`s governing body passed a resolution recommending Arora`s suspension to ensure a fair probe into the case.
Delhi government had on Wednesday had ordered a judicial probe into self-immolition by 35-year-old Pavitra Bhardwaj on September 30 at gate number 6 of Delhi Secretariat.
Bhardwaj, who succumbed to her injuries on October 7, alleged sexual and mental harassment by Arora and another staff member. She was sacked from the college two years ago.
"A resolution was passed by the members of the governing body for the suspension of the Principal. The move is to ensure that a fair probe takes place into the incident," said Shiv Nath Sharma, chairperson of the college`s governing body.
Bhardwaj was a laboratory assistant in the college in Yamuna Vihar which is a fully-funded college by Delhi government.
The inquiry is being conducted by retired Additional District Judge B L Garg who is expected to submit the report within three weeks.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) has also set up a committee to probe the case.
The decision by the college`s governing body was welcomed by the Delhi University Teachers` Association (DUTA).
"DUTA welcomes the decision of the governing body of the B R Ambedkar College. The collective effort of students, teachers and other employees in putting pressure on the authorities has resulted in this decision," DUTA President Nandita Narain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3