Immolation case: BR Ambedkar college principal suspended
New Delhi: The Principal of Bhim Rao Ambedkar College was on Friday suspended till the completion of a judicial probe into the self-immolation by a former employee who had charged him of sexual harassment.
Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh approved the suspension of G K Arora on the recommendation of the governing body of the college.
"The Vice Chancellor has approved the suspension of Arora after a decision was taken by governing body of Bhim Rao Ambedkar college to suspend him till an investigation is on into the case," DU Registrar Alka Sharma said.
Earlier in the day, the college`s governing body passed a resolution recommending Arora`s suspension to ensure a fair probe into the case.
Delhi government had on Wednesday had ordered a judicial probe into self-immolition by 35-year-old Pavitra Bhardwaj on September 30 at gate number 6 of Delhi Secretariat.
Bhardwaj, who succumbed to her injuries on October 7, alleged sexual and mental harassment by Arora and another staff member. She was sacked from the college two years ago.
"A resolution was passed by the members of the governing body for the suspension of the Principal. The move is to ensure that a fair probe takes place into the incident," said Shiv Nath Sharma, chairperson of the college`s governing body.
Bhardwaj was a laboratory assistant in the college in Yamuna Vihar which is a fully-funded college by Delhi government.
The inquiry is being conducted by retired Additional District Judge B L Garg who is expected to submit the report within three weeks.
The National Commission for Women (NCW) has also set up a committee to probe the case.
The decision by the college`s governing body was welcomed by the Delhi University Teachers` Association (DUTA).
"DUTA welcomes the decision of the governing body of the B R Ambedkar College. The collective effort of students, teachers and other employees in putting pressure on the authorities has resulted in this decision," DUTA President Nandita Narain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE