Implement tobacco sale law: Delhi HC to police
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has
directed the city police commissioner to enforce the law which
prohibits sale of tobacco products within a radius of 100
yards of any educational institution.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and
Justice Sanjiv Khanna sought a report by next date of hearing
from the police commissioner after inspecting the premises of
various schools and colleges. It fixed further hearing in the
case on September 7.
While directing the police to enforce the law against
sale of tobacco, the bench asked the counsel for the
petitioner to submit the list of schools to the police where
the tobacco products were being sold despite court`s orders.
It was hearing a PIL filed by World Lung Foundation
(South Asia) which has complained about continuing sale of
tobacco products near schools and colleges.
The court had earlier directed the police to take
strict action against those who sell tobacco within the
prohibited 100 yards of educational institutions and
The PIL referred to a new survey which has shown that
out of the 726 educational institutions, tobacco outlets were
located near 198 among them. In all, there were more than 300
such outlets in close vicinity.
The court had asked the police to keep a tab on the
It had also asked Delhi University to issue directions
to its colleges and appoint nodal officers to ensure no
tobacco outlet is found within the prohibited area of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!