Impossible for common man to seek justice: Delhi Lokayukta
New Delhi: Rueing "zooming up" of lawyers` fees, Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin on Tuesday said escalating legal cost has made it impossible for common man to seek access to justice.
Addressing a seminar here, he hailed civil society for coming to the "rescue" of common man seeking justice.
"The role of civil society organisations becomes important because it has become almost impossible for a citizen to seek access to justice. The fees of lawyers have zoomed up like nobody`s business. This is where active NGOs, civil society organisations come to the rescue," Justice Sarin said.
Observing that it was difficult for common citizens to fight against "mighty" and "corrupt", he said the Right to Information Act has done "wonders" in checking irregularities and graft.
"Right to Information has done wonders. We have got several cases. I have instituted several directions on the basis of information provided to me with RTI queries and answers. And in that process, we have uncovered illegal acquisition of public lands and roads, even by media houses," Sarin said.
"Numerous cases have come before me where credible information was given, but identity was not disclosed. It is very difficult for a common man to fight against the mighty and those who are in power,” he said.
Sarin also criticised those who "often" question Lokayukta`s jurisdiction when it goes after the "corrupt".
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why