Impossible for common man to seek justice: Delhi Lokayukta
New Delhi: Rueing "zooming up" of lawyers` fees, Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin on Tuesday said escalating legal cost has made it impossible for common man to seek access to justice.
Addressing a seminar here, he hailed civil society for coming to the "rescue" of common man seeking justice.
"The role of civil society organisations becomes important because it has become almost impossible for a citizen to seek access to justice. The fees of lawyers have zoomed up like nobody`s business. This is where active NGOs, civil society organisations come to the rescue," Justice Sarin said.
Observing that it was difficult for common citizens to fight against "mighty" and "corrupt", he said the Right to Information Act has done "wonders" in checking irregularities and graft.
"Right to Information has done wonders. We have got several cases. I have instituted several directions on the basis of information provided to me with RTI queries and answers. And in that process, we have uncovered illegal acquisition of public lands and roads, even by media houses," Sarin said.
"Numerous cases have come before me where credible information was given, but identity was not disclosed. It is very difficult for a common man to fight against the mighty and those who are in power,” he said.
Sarin also criticised those who "often" question Lokayukta`s jurisdiction when it goes after the "corrupt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day