In 2012, 2,000 Delhi Police personnel faced action
New Delhi: Around 2,000 Delhi Police officers faced severe punishment and 112 were sacked for corruption and negligence while on duty in 2012, Delhi Police data said.
"An inquiry by the Vigilance Investigation Unit into corruption-related cases led to disciplinary action against 1,968 police personnel within the force," said an officer.
In 2011, 112 police personnel were dismissed, 365 police officials resigned after being reprimanded, three police personnel`s pay were cut, one was demoted, 103 officials` increments were withheld and 1,404 personnel received minor punishments.
The vigilance unit also suspended 479 police officials, conducted departmental inquires against 961 and sought explanations from 4,861 others.
As many as 3,193 showcause notices were disposed off in 2012 and 787 such notices are pending. The unit also keep tabs on police officials whose integrity was doubtful. Last year, 536 police personnel were found with "doubtful integrity".
"We have taken disciplinary action taken against erring policemen and we believe in zero-tolerance for corruption in the force," Commissioner of Police Neeraj Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement